EXTENDED SOCIETY CARE WARD (PREVIOUSLY KNOWN AS CROWN WARD) EDUCATION
The Ontario Education Championship Team initiative is a part of the Provincial Government’s “Reaching Higher” plan introduced in 2005. A part of this plan is to enhance “Access to Opportunities” for youth with Extended Society Care status, and in particular to help Extended Society Care Wards succeed in high school and post-secondary education.
St. Lawrence College has developed a support model offering mentorship, peer support, and guidance geared specifically towards youth with current or Extended Society Care status. If you are a youth with current or former Extended Society Care status and want to learn more about St. Lawrence College opportunities, contact:
100% Tuition Aid for Youth Leaving Care
To make post-secondary education in Ontario more accessible for youth leaving care, St. Lawrence College is pleased to participate in the 100% Tuition Aid program.
You must meet the eligibility requirements and qualify for funding through OSAP for Full-Time Students in order to be considered for the program. In addition, you must also meet the following requirements:
- You are a current or former Extended Society Care Ward, or you are in receipt of, or formerly eligible to receive, an allowance or other transitional support from an Ontario Children’s Aid Society.
- You are in a first-entry program (in your first certificate, diploma or degree program).
- You have been assessed as having at least $1.00 of financial need under the Ontario portion of the Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan.
Deadline for Application
- Your OSAP application must be received by the Financial Aid/OSAP office no later than 60 days before the end of your study period.
Deadline for Documents
- All required documents must be received by your Financial Aid/OSAP office no later than 40 days before the end of your study period.
Documents You Need to Provide
- You may be required to provide documentation regarding your current or former status with the Children’s Aid Society. Your OSAP application will provide you with the details on your required documents.
Amount of Aid
You can receive up to $6,000 per academic year to cover your tuition fees as follows:
- Up to 50% of your tuition fees (not including ancillary fees) to a maximum of $3,000 is available from the Ontario Access Grant, Ontario Access Grant for Crown Wards and/or 30% Off Tuition grant through OSAP for Full-Time Students.
- The remaining 50% of your tuition fees (not including ancillary fees) to a maximum of $3,000 will be funded by St. Lawrence College. It will be applied (on a semester basis) to your outstanding tuition or if your tuition has been paid, a refund will be sent to you.
- Available for up to four years of post-secondary studies (or six if you have a permanent disability)
Note: Extended Society Care Ward Students will be required to meet the tuition deposit deadline.
If you have questions regarding the 100% Tuition Aid for Youth Leaving Care program, please contact our Financial Aid/OSAP Support Team.