Goals of General Education courses
General Education (GenEd) courses allow students to:
- Gain awareness of the diversity, complexity, and richness of culture and the society in which they live and work in
- Contribute thoughtfully, creatively, and positively to their communities
- Strengthen Essential Employability Skills such as critical analysis, problem-solving, and communication
GenEd courses explore five themes:
- Arts in society
- Civic life
- Social and cultural understanding
- Personal understanding
- Science and technology
General Education courses expose students to disciplines outside their main field of study and are required in all college programs. Every SLC program includes one online general education course, so students can explore online learning in a supportive environment and develop their digital fluency skills.
Registration details for Online gened courses
Students should review the following information to learn about the updated registration process for online GenEd courses.
Starting Winter 2021, students scheduled to take their online General Education course will be able to select their course using the self-enroll function in PeopleSoft. This process will also outline specific details such as course exclusions and course availability. The registration process is based on a first-come-first-serve basis, so we encourage students to review the following information to familiarize themselves with the new process.
- Registration Instructions – This video summarizes the self-enrollment process that students will need to follow in order to complete their registration. Students will be required to log into to the SLC account to view this video recording.
- Registration Instructions (Handout) - This handout outlines the same step-by-step process using a series of screenshots to help students complete this process.
If you encounter any difficulties registering for a course, please contact your academic school office for support.
- Registration will begin: January 7, 2021
- Registration will end: January 29, 2021*
- Online GenEd course begins: January 18, 2021
- Online GenEd course ends: April 30, 2021
*Students who register late in the course will be responsible for any missed coursework from the start of the semester.